February 2022 SGC Grading Recap
Published March 2nd, 2022
- SGC graded 82,177 cards during February - up 1% from January.
- SGC activity has been very consistent week-to-week thus far in 2022.
- Baseball was the top-graded category in February with 33% share and cards graded up 9% compared to January.
- Mac Jones mania slowed significantly in February; yet, 2021 Donruss football and the Mac Jones base topped the most-graded set and card list.
SGC graded 82,177 cards during February - up 1% from January
- SGC grading activity remains very consistent week to week in 2022.
Cards manufactured during or after 2020 made up ~38% of the items graded (down vs Jan)
Baseball was the top-graded category in February - up 9% compared to January
2021 Donruss football tops the chart again - by a much smaller margin
- Moving onto the list in February: 2021 Bowman Chrome Draft baseball and
2020 Panini Chronicles football
- Falling from the list: 2020 Topps Chrome F1 and 2020 Prizm football
Michael Jordan easily leads the list of top-graded players
- The top 12 players remain unchanged in February; however, Mac Jones dropped while Michael Jordan and Joe Burrow made noteworthy jumps
The top card leaderboard is a mix of classics with a few ultra-modern favorites mixed in
- Jumping onto the list in February: 1981 Topps Joe Montana #216,
1976 Topps Walter Payton #148, and 1990 Fleer Michael Jordan #26
- Dropping from the list: 1986 Super Canasta Michael Jordan Spanish Sticker,
2021 Panini Absolute Mac Jones Retail #109, and 2021 Donruss Trevor Lawrence #251
- SGC has been extremely consistent to start 2022 - grading just over 20k cards per week. The company appears to be less focused on rapid expansion and more focused on establishing a healthy foundation and increasing affinity for the brand.
That said, they appear to be executing well and have been increasingly visible in the hobby as a result (CEO Peter Steinberg has done several interviews over the past 2-3 weeks).
- Overall, SGC seems to have a sound understanding of their potential over the next 12-18 months - establishing itself as a strong #2 in the hobby (which is not a given with CSG making a big push and Beckett's loyal supporters).
An SGC that is operating at full strength and meeting expectations is certainly a good thing for the hobby and we look forward to them continuing to push down this path.